Education & Entertainment... Together Again
Book Ross Bentley for a fun, engaging keynote talk, seminar, or at-track workshop.
If the popularity of my seminars are any indication of how effective they are, you’ll be asking me back. That is what’s happened many, many times. And that’s okay, because I have an almost endless number of topics and amount of content – which means you can count on your audience getting exactly what they want.
A couple of hours, a full day, or two-days in length, the seminar topics are typically Inner Speed Secrets (click for more details), Advanced Driving Techniques, Common Driving Errors or Instructor Training. Usually, these are done in a meeting room, for a couple dozen to over one hundred participants, but I’ve also integrated them into at-track sessions.
The common denominator in all of my seminars are that they are a balance of education and entertainment.
Looking for a fun talk that your club members will be fully engaged in? Some of my stories (which I make as humorous, educational, and entertaining as possible) include:
- Racing Indy cars
- Winning the Daytona 24-hour race & coaching the youngest team of drivers ever there
- What the keys to race team success are
- Having World & Indy car champion Nigel Mansell wanting him to support his demands for higher pay
- Coaching in NASCAR
- Having his car catch fire and getting 3rd degree burns while driving at 225 MPH at Indy
- The BMW-Porsche battles he was a part of
- How motorsport/driving relates to business and/or life
- And the funniest insult he ever heard aimed at Mario Andretti
Whether for drivers or instructors, my at-track workshops combine classroom and on-track activities in a way that “drives” home the learning. Typically, these are some combination of coaching and my other presentations; all are custom-designed to suit your needs.
Car clubs, race teams, and corporate event organizers have relied on what others have described as an “engaging content and delivery style” (I have no idea how I managed to develop that style – all I know is that I talk about what I love!).
Here are just a few of the most popular seminars that I conduct.
Inner Speed SecretsYour brain is driving
- What’s really driving your car? Your brain, right? In this presentation – my most popular – participants will come away with an understanding of how the performance or race driver’s mind works, and what specific strategies they can use to improve their mental performance. In fact, in this interactive seminar, they will learn how to improve their decision-making, sense the limits of the car better, learn tracks faster, trigger a performance state of mind, maintain concentration, and get into the zone more often.
Being A Better InstructorHPDE Instructor Training
- I pull from my 30-plus years of experience in instructing and training instructors in this seminar; not only providing the theory behind great instructing, but delivering specific tools and techniques that instructors can put to use immediately. With the recent release of my “Brake, Brake, BRAKE: The HPDE Instructor Manifesto” free eBook (HPDE-Instructor-Tips.com), this has become a very popular seminar. Participants will learn how to bring out the best in their student, keeping them safe, happy, and fast.
Advanced DrivingGoing faster
- What do you do with drivers who have been through your DE sessions multiple times? If you want to keep them engaged and learning – and coming back for more – let me present my Advanced Driving Techniques seminar. Topics include the End-of-Braking Point (when and how to release the brakes), trail braking, the Change-of-Speed problem, when to tune your car before your driving, advanced vehicle dynamics, what the slip angle really means, identifying the most important corner on the track, and self-coaching techniques.
Common Driving ErrorsWe all make them
- Typically presented in conjunction with one of my other presentations, the Common Driving Errors seminar always hits home with drivers of every level. Topics include how to identify errors, the impact of not using all the track, strategies for going faster, the brake release, the entry understeer-exit oversteer problem, why drivers lack feel for the limit, relaxation techniques, and losing one’s focus. I don’t just identify these errors – I provide strategies for fixing them (often, before they happen).
“Ross has an incredible talent for connecting with drivers and non-drivers alike with fascinating insight from his motorsports and business adventures. He has a special ability to get people to take a step back and think about why they’re doing something or how what they’re doing right now might influence them 1 turn, 1 hour or 1 year from now. While the focus might be on motorsports, everyone, regardless of background or automotive preference/interest is engaged as the lessons learned can apply equally to challenges faced on the track, at home or at work.”Seth Varty
“I made a short list of the tips & tricks you discussed and used them at the next day’s track event. Now bear in mind, this was the first time back at that track in a year +, and in a car I hadn’t tracked yet. Even so, I felt myself so much more relaxed, focused and effective. Yes, I visited “the zone” more often and more easily. I just wanted to say thanks… there’s not many “lectures” that one can translate into action & results the very next day!”Bob Mondschein
“The local chapters of BMW CCA and PCA were looking for something beyond the usual role playing and technical skills instruction for our annual Instructor Clinic. Ross Bentley provided that something but surpassed our expectations in every way. His training was the best thing we have ever done. We were given new tools and new ways of thinking to help us help our students better. We all came away with renewed passion for performance driving and for helping our students improve their skills in a safe environment.”David Lightfoot
Frequently Asked Questions
What do you charge for your presentations?
While each presentation is custom-designed, and therefore my fees are a little bit dependent on what the program looks like, here are my basic fees:
Seminars/Workshops: 1-Day: $2,500, plus travel expenses; 2-Day: $4,000, plus travel expenses
Keynote Speaker: $2,000, plus travel expenses
Track Programs: Custom priced depending on content and length of the program.
NOTE: Ask about custom-designed and priced programs.
Payment Policy: We require a 50% deposit to lock in a date. We will invoice for the balance and travel expenses after the event, and expect payment within 15 days of invoicing.
How many people can attend a seminar?
If we have you do a seminar, what are we responsible for?
I will create all of the content for the seminar, arrange my own travel (coordinating it with you), and present the seminar. You will be responsible for arrangement and payment for an appropriate meeting room, any refreshments/lunch, marketing, registration, and audio-visual equipment.
What requirements do you have for the meeting room?
For a day-long seminar, comfortable seating for participants is important, as are the acoustics in the room. Hotel meeting rooms work well, although I have conducted seminars in auto dealer service areas, reception halls, and of course, in at-track classrooms.
I typically use PowerPoint to support my presentations (don’t worry – no “death by PowerPoint”!), so I require a projector and screen (I’ll bring my own laptop). With notice, I can bring my own projector (but I prefer to travel light…). While I prefer to not use a microphone (if the acoustics in the room are acceptable), it’s recommended to have one on hand, in case it’s needed. If needed, a lapel microphone is best (holding a microphone all day is not ideal!).
How long is a seminar?
Typically, these start somewhere between 8:00 and 9:00 a.m., then finish up between 4:00 and 5:30 p.m. The exact time/schedule is something we can discuss and confirm, but I will rely on you to make suggestions based on your knowledge of the attendees, location, and past events you’ve held. Having said that, I’m here to work with you and give as much as I can in my time with your club. In other words, get your money’s worth out of my attendance.
Can we combine events, like a seminar with on-track coaching, for instance?
Absolutely. If you have an idea of what you’re looking for, let us know. I’m happy to custom-design a program for you.